Friday, January 9, 2015

Shipping A Four-Wheel-Drive Truck or SUV to Germany? Make Sure It's LEGAL!

I consider myself someone that does a lot of research about the area we are moving to.  I am not usually surprised by anything.  When we found out we were moving to Germany we searched everything we could about what is allowed or not with our vehicle. Was it too wide for the roads? Gas will be expensive.  Tinted windows were fine, roof racks were fine, we don't have a lift kit or other modifications on our vehicle, and we just purchased new tires to get us through any snow storm Germany wants to throw at us, so we figured we were golden!



Snow tires is one thing Germany is big on. You need snow tires for winter. In some areas you will actually need chains as well.  The tread on our tires was good enough to probably last us a year before we had to get new ones. But, we didn't know what tires would be available here and we didn't want any problems getting the right ones so we ordered in new ones the month before we shipped our Hummer over.  Everything was going to be perfect once our POV actually arrives in March! Heck we even have the first aid kit, reflective vest and triangle already purchased.  That is until yesterday, at the drivers license testing center,when one of the questions was about regulations on how far if any that your tires can extend from your wheel wells.  I think I must have turned pale at that question. I had never heard any regulations about tires anywhere!

I think it needs to be out there and given to service members if they are shipping a vehicle, at government expense, to Germany.  Someone needs to let service members know that if your tires extend beyond the top of the wheel well then it is not legal to drive and won't pass the inspection!  Hopefully this information will get to some of you prior to shipping your 4WD with beastly tires on it.

So, if you live in Texas, Colorado, Kansas or any other western state and have big tires on your truck you will have to either buy smaller tires, or get some wheel well extenders for your vehicle. How I wish I would have known this in the states when you can easily find accessories for four-wheel-drives. Not so much here in Germany.  I will update this post when I find a place that will sell and install extenders.

If your vehicle is modified in any way try to contact the Grafenwoehr inspection station and see if it will pass or not. Then you can make an informed decision on whether or not to ship your vehicle. When I walk back over I will try and get someones business card with an email address on it and post it.  When we talked with the inspectors and showed them pictures of our Hummer and were informed it would not pass they said if that was the only thing wrong then we will get a 30-day temporary pass for it to get it fixed. That was good to know, hopefully we will have extenders lined up before it gets here.

Good luck on shipping your 4WD POV! 

6 comments:

  1. Have an honest discussion with your DUI attorney Los Angeles about everything and fees in advance. Also make sure that the Lawyer has never been reprimanded, suspended, or dis-barred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any regulations on leveling kits? Or led light bars?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful for this blog to gave me much knowledge regarding my area of work. I also want to make some addition on this platform which must be in knowledge of people who really in need. Thanks.pre purchase car inspection sydney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything such as this before. So nice to uncover somebody by incorporating original applying for grants this subject. realy we appreciate you starting this up. this fabulous website is one thing that is needed on-line, somebody with a little originality. beneficial work for bringing new stuff for the web! Air freight from China to USA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply want to point out your write-up is impressive. The actual clarity in your submit is just breathtaking and i also can easily presume you are an expert on this discipline. Nicely together with your agreement let me grab your own rss to maintain to date using incoming post. Cheers a thousand and please keep up the particular fantastic function. Shipping from china to us cost

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just having a conversation over this I am glad I came across this it cleared some of the questions I had. Shipping from china to us cost

    ReplyDelete